We are ELUCO, which stands for East London United Church Outreach. In 1984 Richards Memorial, Rowntree, Gethsemane and Trinity United Churches banded together in common cause to address the problems of poverty in East London. Subsequently, two other London United Churches, Siloam and First-St. Andrew's joined the group. Initially called the East London United Church Outreach Cluster, the joint project was incorporated in 2007 under its current name. As such, we are a Mission & Service and Westminster College Foundation Fund ministry and act as an important outreach function of the London Conference of the United Church of Canada. We are also generously funded by the Sisters of St. Joseph and the Maycourt Club of London ON.
ELUCO is committed to support and advocate with people who build community in the midst of challenging circumstances.
- ELUCO employs a community outreach worker to reach out to people in need, particularly in east London, advocating for them and assisting them to become more self-reliant and independent.
- The Board of Directors' task is to support these workeres, raise funds for their outreach and promote this ministry to churches and the wider community.
- In addition, the Board of Directors encourages individuals and churches to develop relationships with people and community agencies in cooperation with the ELUCO community worker.
Programs & Services
- Children's Programs and Activities
- Leadership Training
- Community Kitchens
- Lunch Progam
- Food Cupboard (Former Gethsemane Church)
- Community Development
- Hospitality Lunch (Welcome Wednesday)
- Read about our new program linking with food retailors in our community.
One of our first steps was to hire a part-time community worker for the northeast London area. In 1986 a second community worker was hired to work in southeast London.
Currently our Community Worker is: